The Greenville News started off as a four-page publication in 1874 by A.M. Speights. After several owners and a lot of different editors, the Peace family under the leadership of Bony Peace purchased the paper from Ellison Adger Smyth in 1919, as Greenville was becoming known as “The Textile Center of the South.” The Peace family also acquired the evening paper, The Piedmont, in 1927.
In 1965 both papers helped to form Multimedia, Inc. In 1995, the smaller afternoon paper and the larger morning paper merged to become The News-Piedmont. In December 1995 Gannett purchased Multimedia and changed the newspaper’s name back to The Greenville News.
Today The News prints over 50,000 newspapers a day. GreenvilleOnline.com extends our history and brings our coverage and unsurpassed local information about Greenville, South Carolina to readers all over the world. Follow us on Facebook!